Thursday, March 29, 2012

Classic

Here is a classic Grandma Pauline recipe.  I can't tell you how many times this has been served at our family events.  We call it Grandma's Orange Salad but in her recipe box it was called California Salad.  I decided to make it for Lucas' School Easter Lunch.

Here is the line-up of ingredients.


Start by dissolving the Jello in 2 cups of hot water.




After the Jello is dissolved add 1 cup of ice to help the Jello set.  
I put the Jello in the fridge for 1 hour before continuing.


 While the Jello was in fridge I let the fruit (2 cans Mandarin Oranges and one can pineapple tidbits) and cottage cheese drain.

Add the fruit and cottage cheese to the Jello which is slightly set.  This is VERY important because you don't want everything to sink to the bottom!  If the jello is thickened a little bit then it will ensure that doesn't happen.

Finally, add the cool whip.  Let the Salad sit in the fridge overnight.

The Orange salad was a big hit!  



The next time I make this I may omit the pineapple.  The only time this salad tasted right was when I had a bite with oranges.  I talked to my mom afterward and she said that grandma didn't like pineapple so it's very likely that was left out of her version!  So, whatever floats your boat, pineapple or no pineapple it's up to you.



Our leftovers didn't last long! 



No comments:

Post a Comment