Friday, November 18, 2011

Pumpkin Pie Squares

I aimed high and got out the recipe for my grandma's Apple pie slices.  Well, just looking at the amount of apples that I would have to peel and cut up was very overwhelming (I know, I need a peeler, corer, slicer and Christmas is just around the corner).  


So, I readjusted my plans and opened up the recipe box that I had found hiding on my grandma's refrigerator when we moved her in August to the Mount Olivet Careview Home.


I was surprised when I found a recipe that had very few ingredients and had hardly any prep work.  Not to mention it fit in perfectly for the purpose.  I needed to make a dessert for Lucas' Mother's Day Out Thanksgiving lunch and what's better than something pumpkin?







So, here goes nothing...




Crust: 1 stick of butter, 1 cup of flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
Press firmly into a 9x13 pan


Bake the crust for 15 min. at 350 degrees.

Warning!!!
Do NOT use this....

I didn't catch the small detail until I was ready to open up my can of pumpkin and thought...  "This is not going to taste good.  When do I add the sugar and the cinnamon, and the nutmeg?"  So, I checked the recipe and saw my mistake.  And so after a quick run to the grocery store Lucas and I returned with this...



Spread the can over the crust...


Just beware that you will be tempted to lick the can before throwing it away.  


Bake in oven for another 20 min.

While that's in the oven get out the ingredients for the topping.

1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup chopped pecans, 2 T butter

Mix them together well.
After the 20 min. in the over sprinkle the toppings on the bars.   




Bake for another 20-30 min.

Let them cool completely before cutting them into bars.


I brought one pan of the bars to Lucas' school Thanksgiving lunch and they were a huge hit!!  You can't eat just one.  They are a tad addicting.

Someday I will tackle the Apple Pie Slices but I'm so glad I had the opportunity to discover a recipe that my grandma obviously thought worthy enough to save all these years.

Thanks grandma!!

No comments:

Post a Comment